huge news! my boards came back from the fab! so I got to work on soldering the tiny tiny parts, I got 8 on there and plunged it in and let some magic blue smoke out. crap. It was not that bad, turns out the 8th part was bad and shorted gnd and power together internally. So I took that bad boy off and tried again, this time no problems and even more it works with some test signals! WOOT.
So that was Wednesday.
Thursday I bbq-ed a turkey. It was good enough that my two "vegetarian" friends went back twice for more, haha.
This weekend I cleaned my office while skyping to my friends back in oregon and found my prototype LED message board with only 1 LED cell. It has a resolution of 5x7 dots and is red. I have been wanting to give grey scale a try. So I soldered up a connector cable to interface with my arduino board and in a couple hours had a very basic version of grey scale working. It seems I am getting about 2 or maybe 3 bits of resolution before the LED just looks off, and some of the steps in between are not that noticeable. If I get something worth looking at I will take a picture of it and post for all to see...
I then started installing apache with the idea that I could write a php program to talk to my LED board over the serial line and update the display based on some POSTs or something... mainly because I am trying to get better at PHP and more familiar with web servers.. did not get very far on this last one... Maybe next weekend ;-)
One more post to the original 100 miles! tomorrow is drinkup with the l33t hackers of santa monta, so hope to be posting again on Thursday.