Sunday, September 28, 2008

70 miles

One way to get better at go is to record the games you play and review them later without the heat of battle. On the computer this is easy to do, you just have to save your game as a special file and then you can review it no problem... But playing on a real board requires something more. Kifu means game library or game collection, you can find blank kifu at all sorts of places but for me all of the game record books have one huge problem: they are all either 8.5" x 11" or the smaller one i saw was 5" x 7", both too big to put in my pocket, both too large to not get in the way while playing. So I made my own.

I bought a sketch pad that is 3.5" x 5", it had a wire spine, a hard back, and the paper was 60 lbs weight. Oh! it was $2.50, score!

Then at home using inkscape, a vector graphic drawing program, I drew out the kind of graph I wanted which took a little while but the cool thing about inkscape is that you can edit the svg file by hand (it is just xml) and in no time I had regular-expressioned my way into a final grid:


(This image will print a 3.5"x4.5" sheet if the printer is set to 300 dpi.)

Then it was just a matter of taking the binder apart and printing the pages (about 100). One problem was the pages are very small so they did not just go into my printer, I had to tape each page to a larger page and then print. It was only a little painful but well worth it!! I can't wait to try it out.

If there is interest, I can post the svg file as well... Let me know.

5 comments:

Mladen said...

That is the coolest thing! Can I see what a used one looks like, I'm curious if you use numbers to denote how the game progresses.

Meg said...

Oooo I love the end products of being tedious!

VLD said...

Nice! Too bad there isn't an easy way to play online (that you've shown me yet). Oh, and boo to the federal bailout plan. (see post for more)

philips said...

Thats really cool! Tedious things always tend to have good pay off if the right vision exists ;)

Scott Nichols said...

thanks guys!!

vld: http://gokgs.com
or yahoo has a version i hear...

mladen: hum, when i fill one out, i will take a picture of it for you!!