Thursday, September 25, 2008

68 miles

I have joined my friend Mladen's (and company) book club! WOOT. (Wow! Loot! (D&D))

I am doing my reading in the car, and by my reading I mean I am listening to "books on tape". Though I would love to read the books, I also love having something more entertaining in the car than the failing economy and dirty politics; not to mention the 30 or so songs the local radio stations choose to play over and over and over. The books are welcome, and the book club provides a source for book ideas.

This months book is "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov. If you want to feel like a perv while in the middle of 10,000 people all driving 10 miles per hour... listen to this book (and drive on the 210 at 7:30am). But really, it is a very interesting story. It seems to be one of those books that has made it's way into pop-culture but you are not quite sure where it all came from if you had not read the book.

Unrelated to the choice of "Lolita", the week before I began I herd an npr story about the new movie "Hounddog", and one of the main complaints about the movie is that it indulges persons prone to pedophilia. The person interviewed was trying to say that this kind of entertainment is new to the modern age of movies, but "Lolita" was released in 1955...

The clubs last book was "All The Kings Men" by Robert Penn Warren. Seeing that "Lolita" took me about a week to listen to in the car, I will have to fill the gaps with past books... If you have a MUST listen book for me, please let me know! comment or email me and I will call you awesome.

1 comment:

Mladen said...

You will be missed at our meetings. We should seriously set up a web meeting with you.