Monday, September 1, 2008

59 miles

September will be the month of experiment. I just finished reading the book In Defense of Food, and though it did not really tell me anything I did not know in general terms, the specific facts in the book were amazing. If even half of what they author lays down is true, it could be a life changing book. The basic idea proposed in the book is that we as Americans are not eating food anymore, we are eating foodlike substances that are making us sick. Foodlike substances are things like chips and soda, fast food and tv dinners, gogurt and yes even bread. Pollan proposes that food processing is the main culprit in this foodlike struggle and so as a result of the book, I am going to attempt to refrain from eating corn syrup this month. This will be hard... but it will hopefully be an eyeopener.

I have nothing else so leave me alone!

2 comments:

VLD said...

I've pretty much eliminated High Fructose Corn Syrup from my diet, and am avoiding artificial foods like margarine. I feel better, and with those changes alone actually lost a few pounds. Unfortunately, finding whole-wheat breads or fresh meat from a butcher is a harder thing. Keeping away from hamburger and pork is easier, except for the occasional guacamole bacon cheesburger (both vices at once, AWESOME!). Chicken for the win man. Oh, and sushi.

g said...

hey man, that book sounds pretty interesting, i'd like to get my hands on it.

keep bloggin man, i enjoy your thoughts. :)